Pages

March 9, 2011

Jumping in Feet First

While I've been meaning to start this for a while now, I did something yesterday that was so surprisingly simple, yet so incredibly cool and use-able, that I had to share it.  So that brings us to today's post.  A tutorial even.  Here goes.

Coloured Rice



I know.  It doesn't sound that exciting.  BUT. . .when you are a former primary teacher, mom to a two-and-a half- and a five-and-a-half-year old, and daycare provider to four more kiddos, this is BRILLIANT. 

I've had the idea in the back of my head to make a "search and find container" along the lines of this cool Where's Waldo one.  I've seen variations on-line, made with a fleece bag, or clear tubing.  My interest was renewed when I came across this one, and with St. Patrick's Day approaching, I knew I had to do a rainbow one for the kiddos.  I happened to have a boat load of white rice, so that's what I used. 

Materials:

white rice (as much as you'd like to have)
rubbing alcohol
food colouring (I used Wilton's gel colouring, but I'm sure liquid would be fine)
ziplock-type baggies
cookie sheets or trays for drying

Scoop a cup of rice into a baggie.

Mix 1 tsp rubbing alcohol with food colouring.


Pour coloured rubbing alcohol into baggie. Seal, squishing out air.

Mush (yep, that's the technical term) the colour in. Fun for little hands to do!

Spread coloured rice on tray to dry.


Using the rubbing alcohol, I found it took less than a half hour for the rice to be totally dry.  Mix the rice up at least once so there are no wet spots.

Et voila!  Rainbow coloured rice!


Now you have wonderfully coloured rice to use in a craft, instead of sand, or for a Rainbow Search and Find!

Cath.


No comments:

Post a Comment